Wiffle ® Ball rules at Yellowbatz are different than what you're used to in baseball. There are similarities, but there are some big differences as well.
- 3-6 Players per team, but no more than 5 on defense.
- Must set batting order before game starts (All 3-6 players will be in the batting order)
- Defensive players may change positions at any time
- 7 Inning Games
- 50 Minute time limit
- Strike Zone
- 21 inches wide x 28 inches high, and 15 inches off the ground
- Any pitch that hits the strike zone is a strike.
- How to get on base?
- Well, first... we don't run the bases, we use "ghost runners"
- Walk = 5 Balls
- Single =
- A groundball that hits in fair territory before the outfield grass, then proceeds to roll/bounce into outfield grass.
- A groundball that is not fielded cleanly (bobbled).
- A caught ball off the wall!
- Double = A ball that lands in the outfield grass.
- Triple = A ball that hits off the outfield wall
- Homerun = A ball over the outfield fence
- "Ghost Runners" move as many bases as the hitter receives for their hit (ex. "Ghost Runner" on 2nd base and the batter hits a single. "Ghost Runners" would now be on 1st and 3rd base)
- Ways to get Out
- 3 swinging strikes (unlimited foul balls)
- One-and-Done = A pitched ball that hits the strikezone when the batter does NOT swing
- A defender cleanly fields a groundball (The defenders feet must be on the infield dirt or grass)
- A ball that comes to a complete stop before the outfield grass
- Double Play = Any fielded ball that results in the batter getting out can then be thrown at the strike zone for a 2nd out. If the throw hits the strike zone in the air, it results in a double play. (Must be a force out - runners on 1st; 1st and 2nd; or bases loaded)
- Misc. Rules
- Foul balls cannot be caught for an out
- Dead Ball = When a batted ball hits a ball laying in fair territory. Play will revert back to the previous count.
- 10 Run mercy rule after 4 full innings (or 3.5 if home team is winning)
- Wiffle ® Balls, eight perforations are the only legal balls.
- Wiffle ® Balls may be scuffed, but NOT cut.
- Wiffle ® Balls with cracks or gashes must be removed.
- Any plastic Wiffle ® Ball bat may be used.
- Taping of the handles and/or barrels is permitted.
- Aluminum bats are NOT permitted.
ALL ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES MUST BE PURCHASED FROM THE PENALTY BOX.
- 1st Offense = Warning
- 2nd Offense = Forfeit of game
- 3rd Offense = Team is suspended for remainder of season